Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Genealogy


Princess
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken.
OK, so my cousin has a daughter who is a few weeks older than D'Arcy (the daughter's name is Laura). I have a question for the genealogists out there....

Are D'Arcy and Laura second cousins? What do you call my relationship with Laura? (We refer to her as 'cousin Laura' to distinguish her from another relative called Laura).

Cousin Laura had a birthday party which was fancy dress. There was a general theme of 'star wars' but I didn't let on to D'Arcy about that - it wouldn't mean much. So I told him it was a dress-up party and asked him what he wanted to wear.

As a 4 year old, he has a range of cool dress ups: Bob The Builder costume purchased in the US last Halloween; a fairy costume - wings, skirt, wand; astronaut overalls from the NASA camp in Tennessee - same as the ones they wear on the shuttle; lots of pretty dresses...

D'Arcy decides, after some deliberation "I want to dress up as a princess".

Foundation garments for a 4 year old boy were a skivvy and tights. Top layer: royal blue velvet dress, pinned up at the front to stop him tripping on it, which created a 'train' effect at the back; lots of strings of beads; little blue satin handbag; purple plastic shoes (rejected in favour of elastic sided boots, as seen in photo); very spiffy plastic tiara.

I didn't get a photo of the whole ensemble before we left home (a dog would learn) and of course when we got there, the first thing D'Arcy saw was the trampoline in the back garden so he took off his dress and started jumping. I only managed to persuade him to put it back on for this photo briefly, and then he took it off again.

Interesting how much like a girl he looks when dressed as one, and how much like a boy he looks when dressed as one. His hair is pretty long at the moment, which adds to the girly effect. My aunt and I were comparing him with other children, and noticing how some of them would never be mistaken for the opposite. While some are still quite ambiguous. At that age I was always being mistaken for a boy, but I did have short hair, and mum dressed me in trousers a lot (much more sensible, as DArcy proved, you can't have as much fun in a dress) and it was the 70s...

Until we got his hair cut for the first time at 2 eveyone thought D'Arcy was a girl, and then he instantaneously turned into a a boy, I have photos of the transformation. it was weird.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?