Saturday, February 11, 2006

first day of school


first day of school
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken.
So the first week has passed now. the first day was slightly traumatic, as you'd expect, but we all acquitted ourselves pretty well.

D'Arcy was with his dad on the first day, so I went there early in the morning, and we all walked together. We found which of the three kindergarten classes he was in - fortunately the one with the other two children from his child-care centre for the last 2 years - and got him settled. Interestingly, there were a lot of kids who had brought both parents along for the big day, and after we'd left our children we trooped up to the staff room for the morning tea that the P&C had put on for us. We met the father of a set of twins in D'Arcy's class, who I knoew when i was tiny - I went to school with his youngest brother, and my best friend's family was good friends with his family, so that was fun (re)introducing myself to him.

I had to go off to work, so didn't stay too long at the morning tea, but also met a woman who had worked in my workplace for a few weeks while I was away, but by mutual agreement didn't stay on. She is a bit odd. Amusingly, when i asked D who he'd played with on his first day, the person he named first was this woman's daughter.

D'Arcy likes his teacher, but isn't too into school. The days are a bit long, and going every day is a drag, he thinks. His current attitude seems to be"but I've been for a week, surely that is enough?"

They seem to do a lot of playing, especially at the beginning and end of the day, and D is enjoying filling us in on all the rules (where you line up to go into class). He's also liked going to the library and meeting the grade 6 buddies, who come and read to them, and generally be friends with them - a good thing for the littlies I reckon.

The picture here is a worksheet for "writing all the words and letters I know at the end of my first week". D'Arcy's is,of course, very much an abstract work, but things will change soon. We know he can write his name, and count up to 275, so it can't be all bad!

in other news, the beloved arrived today. This is good. he has gone to bed, exhausted by a hard evening of watching the winter olympics opening ceremony. I will be joining him there as soon as I get this post done. Some guy is singing "nessun dorma" prob'ly the Pav, i guess. Yep, just went to look at the telly, and there he was in all his glolry.

D'Arcy is at the coast with his dad this weekend, which is pretty good, and we have him next weekend. We'll ease into life a bit, but we're going to the massive Bunnings tomorrow, and then to a BBQ. What fun! Yep. I'm tired. I'm off to bed. the broadband isn't perfect - one of the sockets is buggered, and we can't seem to use the airport magic device, so stuck with cables at the moment. blech.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?