Saturday, June 17, 2006

The writing on the fridge


The writing on the fridge
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken.
I finally found the 'magnetic poetry for kids' set that I bought many years ago, just in time. D'Arcy created this sentence himself, though he needed help to read some ofhe words. I went through a few generations "I jumped down into the lava" was his first idea, but the word "lava" is mysteriously not included in the set. The next attempt replaced "lava" with "love". That stayed for about half an hour, until he realised that there was "water". I explained to him that I'd roughly sorted the words into categories "things" "doing words" "describing words" "question words" "people words" "little words" (which are conjunctions, prepositions, and endings - like the 'ed' on "jumped").
It is a fairly hard way of writing stuff 'cos of the constraint element (not all the words you want are in the set) but it's hard to know how to modify it so that it is still relatively easy to use, but also flexible.

We've been playing a lot of checkers lately, mostly D'Arcy and the beloved, and suddenly we've been playing cards "snap" and "go fish" and I'm currently being hassled to play again, so I'll see you all in blogland later!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?