Thursday, June 01, 2006

Yay for Public Education


Alphabet Song
Originally uploaded by Crit Chicken.
D'Arcy is coming along very well at school. Reading and writing is going well, as is social stuff. This is the first time he's shown interest in arranging the fridge letters into the alphabet, and he did it by singing the song. He can recognise all the letters (with still some confusion between p/b/d u/n w/m - which shows that he's still reflecting things in his head) and knows what sounds they make. I was chatting with his teacher yesterday morning, after I'd done one-to-one reading with the kids, and we were talking about the difference in reading levels between all the children. There is a very wide spectrum, from some who are a bit below D on the recognition scale all the way up to totally independant readers (can read and understand newspaper articles). There is one child who has improved out of sight in the last few weeks, and the teacher and I were talking about how exciting it is to witness that kind of transformation. It's an interesting picture of what "reading-readiness" is. Suddenly this child is ready to read - no longer are they doing that "I can't read. You read it to me. I don't want to read it. I don't like it" and it is fascinating. I love it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?